Back in 7th grade home-economics, the cooking segment consisted of learning how to make pizza with English muffins, some spaghetti sauce, a little cheese and a toaster oven.
* 6 muffin halves (want to make your own English muffins? here’s how)
* 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese, packed
* 1 Tbsp butter
* 1 medium onion, sliced thin
* 3/4 cup diced ham
* A pinch of chopped fresh sage
* 1/4 teaspoon stoneground mustard
* Optional: A few slices of fresh tomato
1 Preheat oven to 425?F.
2 Melt butter in a medium skillet on medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the diced ham, cook 5 minutes more. Mix in the sage and mustard. Remove from heat.
3 Put muffin halves, open side up on a sturdy baking pan. Distribute the cheese evenly, sprinkling over the muffin halves. Put the onion ham mixture on top of the cheese. If you want to use tomato slices, layer them between the cheese and onion mixture.
4 Bake at 425?F for 8-9 minutes, until the muffins and toppings are nicely browned, but not burnt. Cut into quarters for appetizers or just leave whole for a meal or snack.